BOJNICE CASTLE (Slovakia)
Bojnice castle is a mix of Gothic and Renaissance architecture. This stone castle was built in replacement of a wooden one in the course of the 12th century. Its first owner was Lord Kazimir, a member of the Hont-Poznan family who gave it to Maté Csak of Trencin. When he died, the castle became the King’s property and was occupied successively by many other landlords from various noble families.
The last private owner, Jean Palffy, improved and embellished the castle grounds and building for most of his life, till he died there (date ?). Being a collector and taking part in many auctions, he developed an important art collection which he left as an heritage with this property.
The castle as it stands today is the achievement of the Palffy family who owned it from 1643 till the foundation of the 1st Tchekoslovakian Republik in 1918.
After the second world war , in 1945, the castle became a state property but caught fire 5 years later, in 1950. Restored , it was decided by the state that it should be changed into a Museum, thus realizing its last private owner’s wish, Jean Palffy, 42 years after his death !
The castle is now opened to the public.
For more information : visit official website