MONOPOLI CASTLE – PUGLIA
Works for this castle were completed in 1552. The fortress was the will of the Emperor Carlo V as part of his project to develop a defence system along the coast line of Puglia Region. The castle was built on a small headland/promontory called « Pinna Punto » .
In the 1600 it has been enlarged and modified from inside and outside and from a defense structure it was altered in a residential building.
During the first half of the 19 century, the castle became a jail and this lasted until 1969. Several times abandonned after, it has become today an ideal location for hosting important cultural events such as cinema, photos and paintings exhibitions.
The simple design of this fortress was enriched by 5 bastions at its hightest points /the summit/tops. Vestiges of its original walls can still be seen to the left of its circle tower by the side of which was located the drawbridge, as the castle main entrance. Some suggestions brought forward by the size of the open space inside allows to figurate a large armoury. Under the loggia, on a sculpted stone dated 1552, is engraved the coat of arms of Viceroy Don Pedro di Toledo, the Founder of this fortress.